Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Lincoln!!


I didn't get a chance to get a picture of myself and Lincoln, but here he is decorating his birthday hat. Happy Birthday to you!! We had fun singing his favorite songs and eating his delicious halloweeny-birthday treats :).

Whew, we had such a fun and BUSY day today!! First, we had Miss Robin come teach us some more sign language. We learned the letters E and F, as well as the numbers 3 and 4. Other new words: elephant, egg, frog and fish. I like this website http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi, which helps me if I forget how to sign something she's taught us. Ask your children what they learned, and about previous letters, numbers and words. I'm always shocked at how much they retain!!

Here's a list of all the sign language we've learned:
  • Letters A-F
  • Numbers 1-4
  • Words: apple, alligator, boy, ball, cat, candy, carrot, dinosaur, dog, elephant, egg, frog and fish

Halloween Hullabaloo: Today we read a very funny Halloween Witch story, which the kids just ate up. They didn't move a muscle during the whole story (which is a VERY rare occurance, believe me:)). We also reviewed some of our Halloween songs and learned a new Halloween rhyme.

I'm a Mean Old Witch
I'm a mean old witch with a hat
And I ride on my broom with my cat
My chin is pointed and my shoes are, too
And you better watch out, or I might scare you . . . BOO!
I'm a mean old witch with a hat.


Three Little Witches (see last post for words)


Five Little Pumpkins (spoken)
Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate
The first pumpkin said "Oh, my it's getting late!"
The second pumpkin said "There are witches in the air!"
The third pumpkin said "But we don't care!"
The fourth pumpkin said "Let's run and run and run!"
The fifth one said "Isn't Halloween fun?!"
Then Wooooo went the wind
And OUT went the lights
And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.





For another special treat today, we had Officer Jeppson from the Clinton Police Department come visit our class. (She wasn't able to be there on the day of our Fire Dept. field trip). The kids thought she was awesome! We learned a lot about safety, especially regarding Halloween. Make sure you talk with your kids about strangers, who they should talk to if they are lost, eating unwrapped candy, what to do if they find a gun, and taking candy from anyone.
Letter F: We learned about letter F and Friendly Frog. Ask your children what sound Friendly made as he blew out the fire. (Hint: f, f, f, f, f, f, f).

Finally, Circles: We learned about circles today, and went on a circle hunt. The kids had so much fun doing this, and they were SO excited every time they found a circle. Here are a few pictures of the circles we found:






We were so busy today that we didn't get around to the birdfeeders. But no worries, we'll get them done soon enough :).



Black Island Farms Field Trip:

Thursday: Meet at 10:15 at 3178 S 3000 W in Syracuse. (I think this is the funnest field trip of the whole year!). $4 per child. Kids 2 and under are free, as long as they don't pick a pumpkin from the patch when we go on the hayride. Parents are free.

Bring a sack lunch!

2 comments:

Holly said...

It sounds like you did have a very busy day, a very fun day too! I'm so glad to have you as Avery's teacher, you do so well and plan such fun things for them to do! We are looking forward to the field trip on Thursday, see you there!!!

none said...

I would like to thank you for posting your fun activities and pictures on your blog. It is so fun to be a part of Avery's life in this way and see what she is doing and all that she is learning. It sounds like you doing lots of fun and educating things for your little students. Thanks again. Carol Thompson (Avery's grandma)